The C. A. Nothnagle Log House, (also known as Braman-Nothnagle Log House) is a historic house on Swedesboro-Paulsboro Road near Swedesboro in the Gibbstown section of Greenwich Township, New Jersey. It is one of the oldest surviving log houses in the United States. The oldest part of the house was built sometime between 1638 & 1643 by Finnish settlers in the New Sweden colony, & Scandinavian ironware from the 1590s is still hang around the fireplace. The fireplace, probably built of bricks brought over to North America as ship's ballast, is asymmetric & placed in a corner of the cabin.
The original cabin measures 16 by 22 feet, which indicates that the builders were relatively well off; an average sized dwelling of the period was 12 by 12 feet. It is built of oak logs, & two logs were removable to provide ventilation in the summer. The logs were double dovetailed to provide a close fit, & gravel was pounded between the chinks in the logs. No nails were used in the original construction; hardwood pegs were used as fasteners.
There is no ridgepole in the roof. People lived in this part of the house until 1918. A large addition to the original cabin was constructed in the early 18th century. A wooden floor was built over the original dirt floor around 1730.
According to popular folklore this is the house where, the Jersey Devil originated with a resident named Jane Leeds, known as “Mother Leeds”. The legend states that Mother Leeds had twelve children &, after finding she was pregnant for the thirteenth time, cursed the child in frustration, crying that the child would be the Devil. During 1735, Mother Leeds was in labor on a stormy night while her friends gathered around her. Born as a normal child, the thirteenth child changed to a creature with hooves, a goat's head, bat wings, & a forked tail.
Growling & screaming, it killed the midwife before flying up the chimney & heading into the pines. In some versions of the tale, Mother Leeds was supposedly a witch & the child's father was the Devil himself & some legends state that there was subsequently an attempt by local clergymen to exorcise the creature from the Pine Barrens, or that the creature proceeded to kill local children.
The house itself is also disputed as Paulsboro is not near the modern day pine barons; however, skeptics point out that the bine barons and the forest contained in it were much larger in the 1700s. Additionally, a home in Atlantic county New Jersey was registered as being occupied by Jane Leeds. In-fact the area is now know as “leeds point”.
The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in April 23, 1976 & is still privately owned. The cabin is opened for tours by appointment through the current owners, Harry & Doris Rink, who reside in the adjoining structure.
Fishing is a dangerous occupation anywhere in the world; for example, the work-related death-rate for Australian fisherman in one study was 143 per 100,000 people each year, which was 18x the Australian national average work-related fatality rate. During the winter, North Korean fishing boats go out searching for king crab, sandfish, and squid. Some of the fishing boats appear to be operated by soldiers or rented by the army to civilians. Fish is one of the only exports from North Korea (typically to China). Wreckage from North Korean boats often washes ashore in northern Japan during winter due to seasonal winds, weak motors, and harsh currents.
The ghost-ships washing up with no living crew-members typically are old, lack modern engines, and have no GPS. North Korea's lack of food plays a major role in crew death; with little food on board, fishermen die of exposure and starvation.
An analyst quoted by the South China Morning Post said that it is not likely vessels are being used to infiltrate North Korean agents into Japan, as it would be easier for them to just use phony passports and put the agents aboard a flight to Japan.
Rather a portion of the boats are from North Korean defectors. Defectors aside, fishing boats with living crew have also washed up on Japanese shores. In November 2017, eight North Korean men and a broken boat were found on Japan’s northern coast; the men stated they had washed ashore after their boat broke down.
If you've seen the videos of the abandoned millionaire mansion once owned by David Gilmour of Pink Floyd, take a look at how magnificent the mansion was before it fell into a state of disrepair. This video also shows some footage of the recording studio.
Click here to see what the mansion looked like before it was abandoned. Thanks to YouTube creator GM for the property information below:
The manor house was originally built for the Bishop of Reading in 1580. Other parts have been built on at various times since. The house sits on 25 acres of grounds in south Oxfordshire, 6 miles from Reading. The house has seen many owners, some notable owners have been:
Sir Charles Clore who was one of Britain’s most successful post-war businessmen who owned a pharmaceutical company and later Selfridges.
Alvin Lee, vocalist and lead guitarist of the blues-rock band Ten Years After, bought the house in 1972 and built a recording studio in what was then a dairy and originally a barn at the side of the house which he named Space Productions. Lee also built a squash court which caused some structural problems and the building had to be knocked down. The recording studio is now housed in a purpose built building through the timber and some other materials used, came from the old dairy.
David Gilmour of Pink Floyd bought the house in 1980, Gilmour also used it to record some of Pink Floyd’s music in the studio. In 1987 David Gilmour sold the house to Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley of West Side Productions, producers of Madness and Morrissey.
Music producer, songwriter, musician and singer, Trevor Horn bought the house in the 1990s, Horn named the recording studio Sarm West Studios.
Mark White then bought the house in 2007. Mark White set up a production company and continued to use the recording studio commercially, the production company was dissolved in 2014 though it is believed that the studio has since remained in use. It’s not clear how long the manor house was unoccupied for but between 2007 and 2017 the house seemed to be neglected and fell into disrepair.
Several major rock bands have recorded albums at the studios. These include Manic Street Preachers' Gold Against the Soul, The Cure's Disintegration and Mixed Up, and Marillion’s Seasons End and Holidays in Eden. Rod Stewart, Tom Jones, Kaiser Chiefs, Jamiroquai, and Spandau Ballet also recorded at the studio.
David Gilmour used one of the large outbuildings at the back of the house to store the inflatable Pink Floyd pig.
The main blue bathroom suite dates from around 1900 and was manufactured by Royal Doulton who asked Trevor Horn if they could buy it back to put it in their museum. It would seem that Horn declined to sell it back to Royal Doulton!
Alvin Lee supposedly moved out due to the manor house is centuries old, he found it impossible to heat properly in the winter and something always needed repairing. He also reportedly said he found it ridiculous living in such a large house.
The Manor House is reported to be haunted and David Gilmour moved out when allegedly his wife could not stand the ghosts anymore!
Trevor Horn moved out after his wife was accidentally shot in the grounds of the manor. She suffered irreversible brain damage when son Aaron was practicing with his air rifle, not realizing his mother was close by.
It is believed that Mark White still owns the manor house which is now undergoing renovation work.
This is a collection of media from lost and abandoned corners of the world.